Interested in joining our hockey FAMILY?
OPEN YOUR HEART AND HOME TO AN OUTLIERS PLAYER
Every year our hockey club will welcome players from around the world to become part of its outstanding hockey program. Our out-of-town players want to experience their time away from their families in a caring home environment, and to have a home away from home. Players reside with local families known as ‘billet’ or ‘host’ families and are provided room and board during the hockey season for a monthly stipend. Players immerse themselves into the families and quickly become a part of them. The lifelong friendships developed between players and their host families are invaluable.
Frequently asked questions about housing a player
Q. What makes a great billet?
A. A caring and supportive family! It can be overwhelming for a player to be so far away from home. A thoughtful billet family appreciates that each player is unique and that communication and mutual understanding take effort.
Q. May a family host more than one player?
A. Yes. Two (or more) players can share transportation expenses, and often times provide camaraderie for one another. All of our players fill out a detailed application and must comply with specific guidelines for behavior and academic performance.
Q. What am I expected to provide?
A. We ask that you provide:
- A separate room and closet for a player, or shared room and bath if hosting more than one player.
- Nutritious meals. (Players are responsible for meal expenses when traveling.)
- A caring and friendly home atmosphere
- The same guidance and attention you would want for your children.
What you receive in return:
- A firsthand understanding of being a hockey fan.
- A new perspective on hockey as seen through the eyes of your player.
- The opportunity to make a difference to a young player and help him toward his dreams.
- A monthly stipend of $350
- Invitation to and recognition at the annual ‘Billet Appreciation’ game
Our billets are interested in sharing their lifestyle in a positive and mutually rewarding way and can offer a safe, secure and welcome home to learn and grow in.
Even the most self assured players appreciate good quality time with their billet family. Is everyone in your household ready to accept some one new into your home? If willing, this experience can be tremendous for all involved.